Winter Is Fast Approaching, It’s Time To Prepare Your Home
The leaves are gradually turning and the nights have been getting cold. The veggie patch is done for the summer and the ice scraper was put back in the car this morning (after being used!). For many of us fall is the most gorgeous time of the year, but snow will falling soon and for homeowners it is important to get your home ready for the cold winter season.
Here are some tips to help prepare your home for winter:
- Lawn, Garden & Deck
- Mow grasses short and fertilize lawn prior to snowfall (assists spring growth plus can reduce rodent damage in winter)
- Put away outdoor cushions, furniture & toys
- Drain & winterize outdoor faucets & irrigation systems
- Drain & put away hoses
- Trim branches that hang over house or near home
- Think about purchasing kitty litter / snowmelt /sand for icy walkways
- Windows & Doors
- Seal gaps & cracks with weatherstripping & caulk
- Put up storm windows & doors if you have them
- Heating, Ventilating & Air Conditioning
- Replace furnace filters & humidifier
- Have a professional inspect heating system & turn on any pilot lights that were out during the summer
- Have chimney swept if burning wood
- Reverse ceiling fans
- Tools & Machinery
- Drain & winterize lawn mower & other lawn machinery to store for season
- Pull out the snow shovels and snowblower & prepare for winter
- Get fresh gas, nothing damages your machinery faster than old stagnant fuel!
- Gutters & Roof
- Clean & inspect gutters & downspouts
- Turn on & test heat tape
- Drain exposed pipes
- Wrap pipes with insulation
- Know your home – where to shut off water should you have a leak
- Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Test and replace batteries as necessary
We have shared this video before, so some of you may have seen it. But it’s a great reminder for all and I hope that it will be useful. Also if your vehicle is going to need new snow tires this winter or a tire rotation, make an appointment soon!
For those of you who are impatient to get your ski legs going, snow did fall at nearby mountains overnight – Loveland and Arapahoe Basin! And for the rest of you, enjoy this beautiful weather and hope it lasts for a little bit longer yet!